Spinach & ricotta pancake bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus a drizzle
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g bag baby spinach
- 250g tub ricotta
- grating of nutmeg
- 4 large pancakes or crêpes (see recipe, below)
- 225g ball mozzarella , drained and torn into small pieces
- 50g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a pan, add 2 garlic cloves and sizzle for a few seconds, then tip in the tomatoes. Season, and bubble for 10-15 mins until reduced to a thick sauce. Microwave the spinach for 2 mins to wilt, or by tipping into a colander and pouring over a kettle full of hot water. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much liquid as you can, then roughly chop.
- STEP 2
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix together the ricotta, spinach, a generous grating of nutmeg, the remaining crushed garlic and some salt and pepper. Spread the tomato sauce over the base of a shallow baking dish about 20cm x 30cm. Divide the spinach mixture between the pancakes, spreading it over half the surface. Fold each pancake in half, then in half again to make a triangle. Lay the pancakes on top of the sauce, scatter with the mozzarella and parmesan. Drizzle with a little more oil and bake for 15-20 mins until bubbling.