Asparagus salad with a runny poached egg
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200g peeled cooked beetroot (not in vinegar), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 handfuls mixed leaves
- ¼ cucumber , cut into batons
- 8 asparagus spears , trimmed
- 2 large eggs
- STEP 1
Pour the olive oil and vinegar into a small bowl, mix well and add the beetroot. Divide the mixed leaves and cucumber between 2 plates.
- STEP 2
Blanch the asparagus in a pan of simmering water for 2 mins, then remove and set aside. Crack the eggs into the pan and simmer gently for 3 mins until the whites are cooked and the yolks are just beginning to set, but still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, add the beetroot to the salad plates, pour over the dressing and lightly toss together. Top each plate with asparagus and a poached egg to serve.