3-veg mac 'n' cheese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 adults + 2 children
- 150g butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 300g penne (we used Napolina 50% white 50% wholemeal)
- 40g butter
- 1 small leek, finely sliced (about 50g)
- 25g flour
- 600ml milk
- 100g frozen peas
- 175g mature Cheddar cheese (we used a vegetarian version)
- 1 slice day-old brown bread, blitzed into crumbs
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the butternut squash in a steamer over boiling water. Steam for around 15-20 mins or until tender. Drain and then blitz in a food processor until smooth.
- STEP 2
Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- STEP 3
Heat the butter in a medium saucepan, add the leek and cook for 2 mins. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins more. Take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Simmer for 5 mins. Stir in the peas and bring back to a simmer. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the butternut squash, then 125g cheese.
- STEP 4
Stir the pasta into the sauce and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 mins or until golden and bubbling.